Dean of Graduate Studies
The role of the Dean of Graduate Studies is central to all major academic and administrative graduate study activities.
The responsibilities of the Dean of Graduate Studies include the following:
- Provide leadership, strategic planning and vision, particularly in the growth and development of graduate programs and activities.
- Administer all regulations relating to graduate studies.
- Chair the Graduate Studies Committee of Academic Council.
- Represent graduate studies at Academic Council.
- Represent the university’s graduate studies to internal and external individuals and groups.
Graduate program directors
Each faculty and/or program has a graduate program director. This role is of critical importance to ensuring the success of the program and its students.
Graduate program directors should have a strong interest in students and their success, thoroughly understand UOIT’s policies and procedures for graduate studies and be available on a regular basis to assist students seeking advice on issues related to their studies.
The graduate program director is accountable to the dean of the faculty and, with respect to graduate activities, to the Dean of Graduate Studies.
The graduate program director is appointed by the dean of the home faculty, in consultation with the Dean of Graduate Studies. The duration of the appointment may be two or three years, at the discretion of the home faculty dean, with opportunity for reappointment.
Each graduate program director has a formal role and responsibilities relating to the Graduate Studies Committee of Academic Council, including nominations, supervisory committees, student awards and similar matters.
The main duties of the graduate program director include the following:
- Ensure that all graduate studies policies and procedures are administered fairly and correctly and are communicated to students in their program.
- Chair the academic committee for the program and make recommendations to the Dean of Graduate Studies regarding the admission of applicants.
- Approve a program of study for each student and provide advice regarding changes to a student’s status or program.
- Appoint a faculty advisor or research supervisor for each student.
- Where applicable, work with the student and research supervisor to form a supervisory committee and appoint a committee chair.
- Recommend external examiners to the Dean of Graduate Studies.
- Consider requests from students to defer an examination.
- Consider the approval of changes to a student’s grade.
- Liaise regularly with the Dean of Graduate Studies and, as needed, with the Registrar.
- Maintain student records and forward to the appropriate UOIT office(s), as required.
- Provide advice, as needed, to units and bodies such as the Graduate Studies Committee of Academic Council.
- Help ensure that graduate students have the necessary resources, facilities and support.
- Co-ordinate financial assistance (including assistantships and fellowships) for graduate students.
- Help monitor the progress of graduate students.
- Provide input and assistance, as requested, for the creation and review of graduate programs.
- Mediate, as needed, in conflicts or disputes between a graduate student and his or her research supervisor.
- Co-ordinate graduate student recruitment activities for the program.